Thursday, April 1, 2010

Quote from Carver, Note from Me

First, Raymond Carver, on writing: "Writers don't need tricks or gimmicks or even necessarily to be the smartest fellows on the block. At the risk of appearing foolish, a writer sometimes needs to be able to just stand and gape at this or that thing--a sunset or an old shoe--in absolute and simple amazement."

And, from me: 'tis poetry month, folks. Time to read (and write) poems! I'm attempting to write a poem every day again, and hoping hard not to fail at it, as I did last year. Wrote one this morning, which wasn't any good, but hey! It exists! Which is what counts for now. I'm telling myself it's okay to miss days (although I'd prefer not to), so if I get 20 poems out of the month, I will be such a happy camper. I'll try to keep you posted on how it goes. I'll try to stand and gape at things in absolute and simple amazement.

2 comments:

Amara said...

Isn't that what the walk was this morning? It's the first time I've seen a dryer vent in a beautiful piece of prose -- that's got to be the equivalent to the old shoe!

belann said...

Some of us don't even see the shoe to gape at. It takes training your eyes to see that shoe. You've always been pretty good at it--especially Italian leather ones.