Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Books are Delicious

from Charles Lamb, quoted in Patrick Madden's Quotidiana:


"I am in love with this green earth; the face of town and country; the unspeakable rural solitudes, and the sweet security of streets. I would set up my tabernacle here. I am content to stand still at the age to which I am arrived; I, and my friends: to be no younger, no richer, no handsomer. I do not want to be weaned by age; or drop, like mellow fruit, as they say, into the grave."


And, from Joseph Smith, quoted in Eugene England's Dialogues with Myself, which, if the introduction is any indication, is going to be incredible.  I already wish they would have issued it to me at baptism.

Joseph Smith, 1844, just before his martyrdom: "By proving contraries, truth is made manifest."

Okay, and a third quote, so you can have some context for how England draws on what Joseph Smith said:

"Part of the Prophet Joseph's moral and spiritual heroism is focused for me in his growing insight (and willingness to risk all, including his life on that insight) that tragic paradox lies at the heart of things and that life and salvation, truth and progress, come only through anxiously, bravely grappling with those paradoxes, both in action and in thought."         

1 comment:

Amara said...

Thanks for the quotes. I want to learn more about Lamb ever since reading the essay about him in the book you gave me. Joseph was a hero --I think more so because he was so human, and so opposed by such huge forces.